Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Culture and Futbol

Since this blog is supposed to be about cultural observations I have made I figure it is about time I talk about some cultural aspects of Sevilla. I am taking a Spanish Civilization and Culture class and today we learned about the different Arab and Roman influences in Spain. One thing we learned about was the different types of city structures the two groups used, which was really interesting because the Arabs city planning was described as having narrow winding roads which is exactly how Sevilla, at least the part that I live in (the older part) is designed. The roads here are so narrow that at times I have thought I was walking in an alley way or on a sidewalk until a car comes squeezing it's way through and I have to flatten myself against the wall to let it by.

Another cultural aspect of Spain that I have to mention of course is futbol (or soccer). Today is the big England vs. Spain game and apparently the English futbol magazine told the fans that the best bars are right by the cathedral (aka right by my apartment). So, as we were walking today we got to see the majority of the 4,000 English fans that are supposed to be coming to the city today. They had hung their flags between trees and were singing their songs back and forth to eachother. I have to say it looked like fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment