Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sevilla!

I have been in Sevilla now for a few days and have met my host family who is a 56 year old lady who lives by herself. The good news is that I am in the Santa Cruz barrio which is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Sevilla. The bad news is that my mother does not speak any english and she talks really fast. This probably won't be a problem in the future but for now it is kind of inconvenient, especially when it comes to meals. So far the food has been the biggest problem. We really haven't had anything that obscure but she somehow manages to make even the most mundane meals into something that we have to force ourselves to eat. Even salad has so much salt on it that I can barely finish. The other problem is that she thinks we are too skinny so she gives us enormous portions and then thinks we don't like it when we don't finish. Other than that though everything is going well. Yesterday we took a bike tour of the city which was nice. Sevilla is actually pretty big, bigger than I expected at least.
Today we walked around our neighborhood and bought some hangers and I bought some cherries that I found that looked really good but of course were really expensive. Later I think we are going to do a little shopping at the big shopping area in town and then hopefully we can find something very Spanish to do tonight.
I will try to upload some pictures but the connection here is not very strong so I am not sure if I will be able. Hopefully I will create an album on another site soon and can put a link on here.

Oh I forgot.. for my cultural observation today we saw a vending machine on the street today that had cans of beer in it. Muy interesante.

No comments:

Post a Comment